Thermal power plants are expected to account for the bulk of new investment in electricity generating assets in fast-growing emerging economies like India, China, Indonesia, Vietnam, South Africa, etc.
Thermax has teamed up with the world's foremost name in steam generation technology, Babcock & Wilcox Power Generation Group, Inc., Barberton, Ohio, USA (B&W PGG).
Thermax Babcock & Wilcox Energy Solutions Private Limited (TBWES)
TBWES is a global company with capacity to satisfy the need for very large boilers, from within India and in the Asian sub-continent. The joint venture is formed to design, engineer, manufacture and install Subcritical Boilers of capacity 1000 TPH (300 MW) and above, and the full range of Supercritical Boilers. The JV's upcoming 3000 MW boiler facility is located about 50 kms from Pune in Maharashtra.
TBWES's technological strength comes from a combination of Thermax Limited's leadership in energy and environment solutions in India and the more than 145 years of experience B&W brings. Starting from the first patent for water tube boilers in 1867 by Messrs. George Babcock and Stephen Wilcox, Jr., B&W is at the forefront of safe, efficient and clean steam generation and energy conservation technology.
The first Supercritical pressure coal fired boiler made by B&W was in 1957. In 1967, B&W supplied the largest boiler of 1300 MW. Nine of such boilers are still running.
Over the years B&W has maintained their leadership in technology by investing heavily in Research and Development. They have extensive R&D facilities which cover all aspects of boiler technology including combustion, metallurgy, welding, etc.
Thermax’s Credentials in Solid Fuel Fired Boilers
- B&W PGG Licensee
- Installed more than 100 AFBC boilers up to 175 TPH capacity at 105 ata and 540°C
- Installed more than 15 CFBC boilers
- Installed more than 150 traveling grate boilers up to 170 TPH capacity at 110 ata and 540°C
- Manufacturing facility on outskirts of Pune city covering 27 acres with shops for steam drums, panels, coils, headers, pressure parts, etc.
- New manufacturing facility being set up near Baroda (Gujarat) covering 100 acres
- Key functions at TBW like engineering, manufacturing, quality control and project management were established with direct involvement of B&W PGG
- Thermax engineers have received advanced training at B&W PGG offices in USA and Canada
- They use the same design standards and sophisticated computer programs as used by B&W PGG engineers in North America
- Boiler designs produced by TBW are reviewed by B&W PGG